9 Ways to Use Barn Doors in the Bedroom
- Statement Bedroom Door
- Separate Your En-Suite
- Create a Sitting Area
- Transform Your Closet
- Hide Bunk Beds
- Design a Focal Point
- Conceal Bookshelves
- Stylish Access to Storage
- Unique Shutters
1. Statement Bedroom DoorIf you want the look of a barn door in other parts of your home, as well as your bedroom, consider using a sliding barn door as a statement bedroom door. A barn-style bedroom door can be the perfect cross between having the door in your bedroom and the main part of your home, without having to install them in numerous places. Choose a barn door style that works with the main decor of your home and your bedroom and you won’t have to compromise.
What side of the wall is best for a barn door in a bedroom?
When it comes to choosing a wall, the choice is up to you. You may find the barn door with a large handle looks better in the main area of your home. In this case, you’ll want the door on the outside of the wall. On the other hand, if a simple wood panel would go with your main home decor, then placing the barn door inside your bedroom may work better.
The main point is to consider how you will get the door open from the other side. Most sliding barn doors are designed to only be opened from one side (since the wall would get in the way of the handle). However, it is possible to install a flat door handle, a flush handle (similar to what is used on pocket doors), or a lock to close the door from the inside. Depending on the design of the door you may also be able to use the cross beams to close the door. In the end, it simply comes down to personal preference and your home’s floor plan.
Can barn doors be soundproof?
Because barn doors are not flush against the frame, sound can leak through the gap. But despite what many people think, sliding barn doors can be soundproof. The material and structure of the door will determine how much soundproofing is possible.
With a sliding barn door in your bedroom, it’s important to make an extra effort to ensure it is soundproof. Start by selecting a solid wood door. Doors that are glass, metal, or hollow will allow sound to travel through them. Also, install weatherstripping or a door sweep. This will help prevent sound from traveling through the gap.
The most important step to soundproofing a sliding barn door in your bedroom is to have it properly installed to minimize the gap.
2. Separate Your En-SuiteMany homeowners use a barn door in their master bedroom to separate the en-suite from the main bedroom area. Using interior barn doors in your master bedroom is a smart idea. It allows you to maximize the available square footage in the space since you don’t have to worry about door swing. If your master suite is on the smaller size, an interior barn door is a practical solution that provides more style than a pocket door or other alternatives with minimal door swing.
Do barn doors offer privacy?
One of the biggest concerns with using a barn door on the master bath is whether it will provide the needed privacy. Sliding barn doors, when fitted correctly, cover the entire door opening with a bit of overlap. This overlap helps give the necessary privacy needed for a bathroom. Even if there is a slight gap, nothing would be seen by anyone else in your master bedroom. However, unless you take the efforts to soundproof the door, there will be some sound traveling through the gap between the door and the wall. This being said, the most privacy comes from installing a lock on the sliding barn door.
Can you lock the barn doors?
Yes, you can lock barn doors. When you use a barn door in your bedroom to separate your en-suite, you want to make sure it can give you the privacy you need. This can be achieved by installing a lock on the barn door. When you install a lock on your barn door, you want to be mindful of the space available between the wall and the door. There are several different types of locks that can be used, including a surface mounted privacy lock, a bolt lock, a tear drop latch, or a hook and eye latch.
3. Create a Sitting AreaYour master suite is used for more than sleeping—it’s a place for private relaxation and comfort. Using sliding barn doors to create a designated sitting area in your room is one of the more creative bedroom barn door ideas on our list. Dividing your space can make your actual bed area feel more intimate. It also creates another area of your home where you can unwind and relax.
French doors are a particularly suited style of sliding barn doors for dividing a bedroom. If you’re worried about making your room look too small, you can create custom barn doors with glass inserts. This will give you the division of space you want, while still giving an open feel to the space.
4. Transform Your ClosetMany people choose a sliding barn door for the bedroom because they are short on space or simply don’t want to deal with the door swing. This is what makes barn doors such a popular choice for a closet door. There are many options available, including a single panel barn door, double sliding barn doors, or bypass barn doors. With so many different styles to choose from, you can completely transform the look and feel of your bedroom without making any other major design changes.
You may want to consider installing mirrored bedroom barn doors. Mirrored barn doors give you a full-length mirror, visually increase the space in your room, and add a unique style to your space. If you want to take this style further you can opt for a sleek, modern hardware kit or one with more traditional rollers.
Where can I buy mirrored bedroom barn doors?
Mirrored sliding barn doors are becoming an increasingly popular choice for a closet transformation. You can find high-quality mirrored barn doors from Artisan Hardware.
5. Hide Bunk BedsIf you’ve been trying to come up with something creative to do with your kids’ room or guest room, consider a design with built-in bunk beds. Interior barn doors can be incorporated into the design to completely high the bunk beds from sight. This means that the main area of the room could be designed as a sitting area, with the bunk beds only being revealed as needed.
However, you don’t have to rely on a rustic sliding barn door. Modern door styles mean the door can easily blend into your decor, simply adding an extra element to the overall design of your bedroom.
6. Design a Focal PointThe use of modern style barn doors on a bedroom closet or en-suite has been growing in popularity due to the usefulness and style they add to the space. As barn doors in the bedroom grow in popularity, barn door trends are shifting from the rustic barn door to one that is more modern. With even more options available, a unique barn door can easily be used to design a focal point in your bedroom, whether you want a rustic look or a modern style.
Using a sliding barn door as a focal point in your bedroom looks especially sharp in rooms with a monochromatic design. You can draw extra attention to your barn door with carefully selected bedroom barn door hardware. Whether you choose a door track and door pull made from oil-rubbed bronze, stainless steel, or some other track color, each gives the door a unique look that can enhance the overall style of your bedroom.
7. Conceal BookshelvesIn kitchens with limited space for door swing, sliding interior barn doors are often used for a pantry, allowing you to simply slide the door open and access its shelves. This same idea can be pulled into the bedroom by using an interior barn door to conceal bookshelves.
These barn doors can be worked into your decor, allowing you to completely hide your bookshelves. Concealing your bookshelves can make it easy to “put away” things you don’t want guests or others to see by sliding the door shut. Likewise, it can also help you easily change up your decor with the simple act of opening the door.
8. Stylish Access to StorageIf your bedroom happens to be a bonus room with attic storage, a barn door can be the perfect addition. Attic storage accessed from a bonus room often leaves homeowners with limited options when it comes to doors. Typically, the access point for the attic storage will have a traditional swinging door. However, this look may clash with your overall interior design. Using a small barn door is a stylish solution because there is no door swing and they come in many different styles to suit any decor.
9. Unique ShuttersBarn door shutters are another way to incorporate sliding barn doors into your bedroom decor. Artisan Hardware can customize barn doors to any size, including the size of the windows in your bedroom. Using barn door shutters eliminates the need for heavy curtains or blinds. They can even increase the insulating capacity of your windows compared to drapes, keeping your home cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.
Another benefit of barn door shutters is that they work as sunburst shutters as well, especially if you get a size that incorporates the sunburst into the size of the window—which is more difficult to achieve with traditional curtains.
How to Measure for a Barn DoorTo order the correct size of barn doors, you need to know how to measure a door. A wrong measurement can create many problems when it comes to interior sliding barn doors, such as doors that are hard to open and difficult to close. A correctly measured sliding barn door should have a little bit of overlap with the door opening.
Measuring for a barn door requires an accurate tape measure of at least 90 inches. Using this tape measure, measure your door opening. If your door opening has no trim, measure from inside of the opening to the inside of the opening. For doors with trim, measure the door opening from outside of the trim to the outside of the trim.
For all doors, with and without trim, add 2-3” on each side as overlap. The width of the door track you need will be three times this width (left, center, and right). The height of the door will vary depending on the door opening, trim, and the header. Make sure to measure from the floor to the top of the door opening to get full closure with your sliding interior barn door.
Bedroom Barn DoorsUsing a barn door in the bedroom is a popular design choice, given it can be incorporated into the room in many different ways. One option is to create your sliding barn door using a traditional interior door. If you’re wondering how to make your bedroom door into a sliding barn door, there are hardware kits that can make the process easy.
When you DIY your sliding interior barn door, there is a chance of error in terms of measuring and installation, which in the long run will cause more trouble than it’s worth. This can be resolved by selecting a high-quality door panel and barn door hardware kit from Artisan Hardware. With our high-quality barn doors and customization options, you can easily transform your bedroom into a beautiful space that makes a statement and reflects your unique personality.