13 Closet Door Ideas for Your Home
- Sliding Barn Doors
- Mirrored Doors
- Glass Doors
- Bi-Fold Doors
- Frosted Doors
- Pocket Doors
- Sliding Doors
- French Doors
- Accordion Folding Doors
- Chalkboard Paint Door
- Room Dividers
- Swinging Doors
Enhance your bedroom’s design by choosing the right closet door. If you’re looking for something out of the box and unique, consider an alternative to the traditional interior closet door. There are many options available if you're willing to be creative. These closet door ideas are geared towards bedroom closets, but they can also be used with other closet spaces and storage spaces in your home.
Ideally, your bedroom is one of your favorite rooms in your home. Having the right design that is aesthetically pleasing and functional plays an important role in sleeping well and feeling comfortable.
Bedroom Closet Door IdeasTraditional interior doors are often used for the bedroom closet. But there are many different options available if you take the time to think outside the box. Wooden doors are by far the most common type of doors considered when it comes to closet door ideas. If you want to stick with traditional elements but still want something unique, consider wooden doors in different styles, or a traditional swing style in unconventional materials. Here are some closet door ideas that can help improve the look and feel of your bedroom.
1. Sliding Barn DoorsBedroom barn doors continue to be a hot design trend that shows no signs of slowing down. Installing a barn door to cover your bedroom closet is a great option if you have limited space. Barn doors do not have a swing and they fit better in tight areas. This can help you maximize your space in small bedrooms and even save you space in your walk-in closet. Since barn doors come in many different styles and materials, you can completely transform your space by changing the closet doors. Barn doors can have traditional weathered wood in patterns, metal panels, or glass panels, making it easy to find the perfect style for your space from a company like Artisan Hardware.
2. Mirrored DoorsMirrored doors are perfect for closets. They can take any small space and instantly lighten it, making a room instantly feel larger. The best part about mirrored closets is that they make your bedroom closet serve double duty as a full-length mirror. That means you can always make sure your outfit is on-point before you walk out the door.
Are mirror closet doors in style?
Mirrored doors were all the rage decades ago, and they are still in style. Modern mirrored doors are not entirely mirror, but rather showcase a panel of mirrors. You can get traditional sliding mirrored doors or you can install barn door mirrors that combine the look and feel of mirrored doors with barn doors.
3. Glass DoorsIf you’re looking for an open closet feel but still want to contain your wardrobe, then glass doors may be the option that works best for you. Like other types of closet doors, glass closet doors come in many different styles. You can get glass barn doors with glass panels, traditional sliding doors, or swinging French doors. With most styles, you can simply get doors with glass panels or you can have closet doors that are entirely glass, whichever style works with your interior design. If you want the feel of glass but don’t want the look of clear panels, opt for textured, patterned, or obscure glass. This can help you add an extra design element to make sure your closet doors are the perfect style for your space.
4. Bi-Fold DoorsBifold doors are another option for covering your closet door in a small space. Bifold closet doors are like sliding doors except that each door is made of two panels that fold outwards. This helps maximize your space while minimizing the space needed for door swing. Bifold doors are an ideal option in small spaces since they help you access 90% of the closet’s width when fully opened. Like other door styles, bifold closet doors come in several different materials. You can even get bifold closet doors with panels of glass or metal to match your overall design.
5. Frosted DoorsWhile there are many different closet door replacement ideas, frosted glass doors are one of our favorites. Frosted glass closet doors allow light into your closet, helping brighten your space, while still hiding your closet’s contents. This can be a secret weapon in helping your space continue looking tidy and chic even if your closet contents are cluttered. Using frosted glass can also help brighten and open up the space in your bedroom as well since it isn’t a solid mass of a heavy material like wood or metal. Like glass doors, there are many styles and door designs that incorporate frosted glass, including paneled barn doors. Simply pick the modern closet door style that works with your space.
6. Pocket DoorsIf you are looking for something different from traditional hinged doors, consider pocket doors. Like bifold doors and barn doors, pocket doors are ideal in small spaces given their non-existent door swing. They disappear into the wall rather than swing inward or outward. Modern pocket doors come in several different door designs, incorporating a variety of materials including glass, frosted glass, metal, wood, etc. If you are tight on space, a stylish pocket door may be the perfect solution for your bedroom closet.
7. Sliding DoorsBig closets that are not walk-in style often use sliding closet doors. Sliding doors allow you to maximize your storage space by reducing the need for any door swing. While traditional sliding closet doors only allow one side open at a time, you can also choose to go the non-traditional route with bypass closet doors. This allows the two doors to pass over the top of each other. Essentially this means you could access both ends of your closet at the same time by sliding the doors towards the middle. This can make your closet more functional and help you get the most out of your bedroom closet. Sliding closet door ideas include barn doors, mirrored doors, glass doors, and frosted doors.
8. French DoorsOne of the most popular closet door ideas for large openings is to install double closet doors or French closet doors. Traditional French doors are ideal when your bedroom is large and you have adequate space for the door swing. However, if you’re pressed for space but still want the look of French closet doors, opt for sliding barn doors in French door style. These double closet doors give the appearance of French doors while eliminating door swing. And since French doors are typically glass, they add an element of light of airiness into your space. This also helps enhance the brightness of your walk-in closet.
9. Accordion Folding DoorsIf you have a small closet or a space that doesn’t work with a traditional closet door covering, you may want to consider folding closet doors. Folding doors, also known as accordion folding doors, are ideal for small closets. They require minimal floor space, making them ideal for space-challenged rooms. They are also viable solutions when you don’t have the space for sliding barn doors or the desire to install a pocket door. You can find accordion folding doors in natural hardwood veneers, vinyl laminate woodgrains, as well as vinyl laminate colors and textures.
Alternative Closet Door IdeasIf none of the above closet door ideas work with your space or enhance your bedroom’s interior design, have no fear. Thinking outside the box gives you several alternative closet door ideas for bedrooms that may be the solution you’ve been looking for.
Does a closet need a door?
While traditionally closets have doors, they’re not a necessity. There’s always the option of removing your closet doors altogether. This can help open up your space and give you full access to your closet. Taking the doors off your closet can also save you square footage since you no longer need any space for the door swing.
If you opt to remove your closet doors, there are several unique closet door ideas to consider. Some still hide your closet contents while others are more about adding a visual element to your space rather than simple functionality. Here are some alternative closet door ideas to consider.
10. CurtainsCurtains are one of those DIY closet door ideas that offer a lot of versatility. All you need are some curtain material and a curtain rod and you can install them yourself in a couple of minutes. You can select curtains that are made of a fabric that complements the rest of your interior design. This could be heavy linen, sheer, rustic, etc. You could even choose to install a beaded curtain on your closet to add a touch of whimsical charm. Whichever type of curtain you choose, it can help separate your closet contents from your main bedroom while giving you full access to your closet.
11. Chalkboard Paint DoorIf you’re tired of your current closet door, consider giving it a makeover. Chalkboard paint is another DIY closet door idea that can jazz up your bedroom. This can work especially well in a kid’s bedroom, giving children a way to express themselves and be creative. If you’re looking to update the closet doors in your teen’s bedroom, consider installing cork board panels instead of chalkboard paint.
12. Room DividersIf you’re not ready to commit to a closet door, consider room dividers. Room dividers or shoji screens are portable, giving you the option to hide your closet contents or to put them on display. Their portability comes from the use of lightweight materials such as fabric, bamboo, paper, and wood. Another benefit of using a room divider is that it can double as ambient lighting when the closet light is on. You can even use room dividers as a statement piece in your room by selecting one that has an intricate design.
13. Swinging DoorsIf you’re looking for unique closet door ideas, consider adding swinging doors into your bedroom’s design. Swinging doors, also known as saloon doors or cafe doors, can help define your space and make a statement. They give a sense of openness in your bedroom, without fully revealing the contents of your closet. Swinging doors are no longer associated solely with Western themes. You can now get them in a wide variety of sizes and styles to fit the overall look and feel of your bedroom.
Closet Door Ideas for Your BedroomWhen choosing a closet door for your bedroom, it’s very important to order the right size. Taking care to properly measure a door before ordering can prevent a costly mistake. To replace a similar closet door, you can likely just measure the door slab. However, if you are getting a different style door, make sure you measure carefully to make sure the door you order fits your closet opening properly.
The right closet door can completely transform your bedroom and take your interior design to the next level. The good news is that there are many options available so you’re bound to find the perfect fit for your space.