When you first think of a ladder in a design you may raise an eyebrow and wonder what we are talking about. After all, the ladder is usually found in the garage. And most of us only pull it out for Christmas lights and DIY projects. Yet, the ladder is growing in popularity as a design trend. Designers and popular DIY’ers are bringing to life an old-world style and incorporating ladders into their drool-worthy spaces. Social media feeds are filled with beautiful rooms elevated with a show-stopping sliding ladder in a kitchen or an eye-catching decorative ladder acting as a towel holder in a bathroom. They have taken the design world by storm, and for good reason, this attention-grabbing piece can add a new texture to any space and is so versatile that it can be in homes both large and small.
LADDERS & DESIGN?
What's the big deal?
|When you first think of a ladder in a design you may raise an eyebrow and wonder what we are talking about. After all, the ladder is usually found in the garage. And most of us only pull it out for Christmas lights and DIY projects. Yet, the ladder is growing in popularity as a design trend. Designers and popular DIY’ers are bringing to life an old-world style and incorporating ladders into their drool-worthy spaces. Social media feeds are filled with beautiful rooms elevated with a show-stopping sliding ladder in a kitchen or an eye-catching decorative ladder acting as a towel holder in a bathroom. They have taken the design world by storm, and for good reason, this attention-grabbing piece can add a new texture to any space and is so versatile that it can be in homes both large and small.|
So, what's the big deal with ladders?
We all want to maximize our spaces, and that translates to storage. Storage space is something we are all looking for. It’s one of the top things people look for when purchasing a home, renting an apartment, or doing a home remodel. Storage in our living spaces is a big deal. One thing that is overlooked when adding storage space to your home is by going up. By maximizing your cabinet space and going to the ceiling you can gain a significant amount of storage space, and how do we reach these ultra-high cabinets?
That is where the ladder comes in. Ladders allow us to utilize our vertical space! What was unreachable, is now reachable, and it can be reached in style!
With the sophistication and functionality of a rolling ladder or a decorative ladder! Adding floor-to-ceiling cabinets in your spaces is a storage opportunity and gives your home a feeling of high-end. Artisan Hardware’s customizable Rolling Ladders and Decorative Ladders make those storage spaces reachable while adding sophistication and class to your home design.
Looking for inspiration on where you can use a sliding or decorative ladder in your home? Incorporating a ladder into your home might be easier than you think. We encourage you to keep reading! Below you will find our helpful guide on how to incorporate both sliding and decorative ladders in any space. If you are building your dream home or simply looking for a way to dress up a space in your home. We have compiled the perfect ladder guide, complete with pictures, to help inspire you in your home design efforts.
First, we need to discuss the different ladders that have us all smitten with their presence.
We all know that a sliding ladder is a good addition to your home, now let’s show you where you can put this versatile design element.
The sliding ladder, otherwise known as a rolling or library ladder, is becoming the star of many rooms. Offices, kitchens, and pantries are being dressed up with the rolling ladder. Even playrooms and bunk beds are receiving ladder love. Any home can feel elevated with this highly custom, sophisticated design element.
The Decorative Ladder
__________________________The second way to incorporate a ladder is through a decorative ladder or a leaning ladder. If you are not looking for a permanent fixture, this type of ladder simply leans against the wall and is widely versatile as a design element both for décor or as a functional item. Decorative ladders can be used as blanket ladders, a place for our plants, or all by itself and used for those hard-to-reach places. The decorative ladder can find a place anywhere in your home.
____________There are so many places and uses for the sliding ladder. Below are 6 of our favorite places to incorporate a sliding ladder in your home.
1. The Office, Study, Library LadderThe sliding ladder is also well known as the library ladder. Named that because it was often found in classic libraries large and small. Whatever you call your space, the library ladder works perfectly in well, the library! It is a well-known space for a sliding ladder! With a classy and sophisticated style, the library ladder is a beautiful way to bring a unique design element that has functionality as well. Take this office space by Studio McGee for example. Not only does the sliding ladder bring a beautiful new texture to the room but, it also allows for instant access to all those top-shelf designer items.
2. Play Room LadderThe library ladder's home does not have to stay in just the library or the office of the home. Why not give your kids a dreamy place to play and incorporate a ladder in the playroom or media room! We love how Amber Lewis from Amber Interiors incorporated a sliding ladder into this playroom design. How incredible is this playroom! We are certain there would have been many hours each day playing imaginary games in this playroom that involved sliding across the bookshelf just as Belle in Disney’s Beauty and the Beast before breaking out into song! Oh, how magical that would have been!
3. KitchenWe all know how useful the ladder would be in our kitchens! Did you decide on the floor-to-ceiling cabinets? Of course! They are beautiful, and while we won't be changing our minds about the beauty of floor to ceiling cabinets, every time you find yourself dragging a chair over to reach something in those tall cabinets, your 5-foot 3-inch self is wishing she had a sliding ladder to help her reach that second shelf! Look at how food blogger and cookbook author Gabi Dalkin incorporated a rolling ladder in her beautiful new kitchen renovation to get to all that storage in her vaulted ceiling space!
Or we can always turn to Devol Kitchens for a classic charming example. You don’t always have to have a wood or white ladder make a design statement. This beautiful design from Devol Kitchens is a stunning, monochromatic way to incorporate a rolling ladder in the kitchen. With Artisan’s ability to customize the ladder, you can be well on your way to this look!
"I love to add a sliding ladder to a space with high ceilings. It adds a vertical element to draw the eyes up as well as adding function to get to those hard to reach cabinets"
Lindsay Hill Interiors
Wood tones and painted ladders are not the only types of material to choose from when designing your sliding ladder. Both wood ladders and steel ladders are stealing the show, and Artisan Hardware provides both options. Just as our barn doors are made in steel or wood, we know that both materials can make a space feel uniquely warm. This lovely, classic white kitchen by Gather Projects is dressed up with a beautiful black steel ladder, and not playing favorites, but we believe it is on the verge of being the star of the show!
What do you think? Are you sold on this rolling ladder in the kitchen idea! We are!
That tends to be the go-to place for things we only need a few times. But when the time comes to reach those high places, it usually includes bringing in a ladder or the more conventional method of standing on the counter to then stand on your tippy-toes to inch your way up to the item you need. How many of us find ourselves cabinet climbing to reach those high spaces? Time to ditch the danger climb! Even in tight places, a sliding ladder in the pantry is a thumbs up from us!
5. MudroomThe mudroom space has started to evolve, and for the better! Growing in popularity, this space in the home is transforming into a high traffic, functional area to hide all those necessary items that you don't want everyone to look at. In our house, that means coats, backpacks, and shoes (and that growing pile of face masks). Having a place to store all your stuff keeps things organized and off the floor, which seems to be a kid's favorite place to drop things. If you have maximized your space to include floor-to-ceiling lockers or high open shelving, then a ladder in the mudroom can be a great addition to this highly functional room.
6. Bunk Bed LadderHave you fallen in love with the built-in bunk bed or the even more elaborate bunk room trend? We here at Artisan Hardware can’t stop talking about them! The traditional kids' bunk bed is no more! Welcome to the new way to bunk! These dreamy kids' spaces or guest spaces have turned the traditional bunk bed into a sophisticated place that is the perfect scene to incorporate a sliding ladder. Bunk beds and ladders have been around for ages, with the new transformation of the bunk bed, let's not forget to upgrade that ladder!
Convinced that a sliding ladder should be on your list of home ideas?
If you need more ideas, check out this blog post to give you more reasons why a sliding ladder can be a useful design element.
How Do I Incorporate the Decorative Ladder in My Home?As much as we all wish we could hop on the sliding ladder in our library while belting out Bonjour just as Belle, the sliding ladder takes some planning. How can you incorporate a ladder that brings height and visual interest to your space without knocking down walls and hiring a general contractor to build you that dreamy Belle moment? That's where the decorative ladder becomes your new favorite design item. The decorative ladder is another option for bringing height and interest to spaces. Also known as a leaning ladder, this design element can add a unique, finished look in any space. From your kitchen or living space to your bathroom or office, the decorative ladder serves as a functional and decorative piece in your home.
2. Kitchen LadderHaving a functional yet decorative ladder is a design element that could easily be overlooked. We discussed above how sliding ladders can be convenient for those hard-to-reach items tucked away on those top shelves or in the upper cabinets of your kitchen. But if a rolling ladder is not an option for your kitchen how can you get to those high-to-reach areas? Keeping a yucky old metal ladder around or ugly step stool is not always in our design plans. So, countertop climbing here we come! Or, Instead, you could display a beautiful and functional ladder right in your kitchen!
See how Charlotte Henley showcases her beautiful wood-leaning ladder that is easily pulled over to reach those gorgeous displays of dishes on the top shelf. It's the perfect blend of function and style. Not to mention the wood tone on this ladder against the dark cabinets makes this kitchen a showstopper!
Popular Instagrammer and DIY'er, Jenna Sue, has also made good use of the kitchen ladder in her kitchen and it perfectly draws the eye up to her wine collection and looks like it was designed to be there.
3. Bathroom Towel LadderWe have discussed the most obvious of places but one space that we think the ladder makes a beautiful statement is in the bathroom. What better way to dress up that wall next to a freestanding tub than with a non-traditional element such as the leaning ladder. Once again Shea McGee, from Studio McGee, wows us with her ability to incorporate a design element so perfectly. A leaning ladder in this bathroom adds so much visual interest and doubles as a towel holder as well.
These next two ideas can be used anywhere in the home, from the bathroom to the living room. They add a beautiful texture and style to your space.
4. Plant LadderRaise your hand if you are a plant person! We are over here at Artisan! Sometimes our plant addiction gets the best of us and we run out of surfaces to place the beauties. Decorative ladders are a great way to incorporate your plant love in any space in your home. Mandi Johnson, from A Beautiful Mess, shared several ways to use a leaning ladder and one of our favorites was the plant ladder. With a plant ladder, you now have a creative way to hang your plants and it's easy to lean it up on the wall next to a window so your plants don't have to fight for shelf space to get a fair dose of sunlight.
5. Statement LadderAnd last, the statement ladder. This can be used anywhere. Its versatility is endless and so are the spaces it can dress up. The non-traditional design element can help quickly fill a bare wall without too much work or fuss. Amber Lewis and Julia from Chris Loves Julia take a boring wall and dress it up with a rich-toned ladder that fills the space perfectly.
The ladder trend is here, and it is making a statement. Whether you are ready to incorporate a sliding ladder in your new build, renovation, or room refresh or prop a leaning decorative ladder in a special place in your home, the ladder makes a big statement and at Artisan Hardware, we have high-quality, handmade pieces that are sure to elevate your space however you decide to incorporate it.
Whether you are in a small space or the Kardashian Mansion, a leaning decorative ladder can beautifully fill any bare space